Remember the enchilada sauce from Wednesday? I told you I would be bringing you a unique meal idea to use the sauce with and Chicken Enchilada Salad is it! I have been eating a lot of salads this summer and this recipe was at the top of my list to try.
I changed up the ingredients a bit to suit our taste and add even more variety and texture throughout the salad. I totally have a thing for black beans and corn together so I had to add those to the lineup.
This salad has creaminess from the avocado and black beans, crunch from the tortilla strips and corn and spice from the enchilada sauce. The chicken (which you could replace with ground beef if you prefer) completes the salad and keeps you full for much longer.
As you can see, I had my little sous chef helping. He also loves corn and black beans so he kept sneaking those cute little hands in the bowls.
- 1 head iceburg lettuce, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cucumber, cut into small cubes
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 basket cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup mixed yellow and white cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and hand-shredded
- 1/2 cup enchilada sauce
- Tortilla strips, cripsy onions or crispy jalapenos, to taste
- Your favorite creamy Ranch or Buttermilk dressing
- In separate bowl, toss chicken with enchilada sauce. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Place lettuce into large salad bowl. Add in tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, green onions and toss together.
- Place mixed salad onto 4 individual plates.
- Top the salad with the enchilada chicken and sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on top of each salad.
- Drizzle on your favorite creamy dressing.